Hello Fresh Competitors: Choose the Best for Yourself
With meal kits you can have the ingredients delivered in portions and cook yourself. Is that healthier and cheaper than ordering food? Do the self-cooked dishes taste good? How complicated is the preparation? We’ll try to figure everything out with the help of this review of companies like Hello Fresh.
How do you manage to stick to a varied, inexpensive, and healthy diet when you can’t actually cook? Eating out is currently complicated, picking up and ordering is expensive. Great help for those who don’t like cooking is offered by various meal kits from different providers.
Nowadays, one of the leaders in this industry is Hello Fresh. Nevertheless, there are plenty of other services like Hello Fresh. The principle of companies like HelloFresh is usually similar: you order the meal kit that contains the ingredients for one or more dishes and have it delivered to your home at a certain time. The ingredients are fresh, the food is guaranteed to be delicious and the quantities are precisely adapted to the corresponding number of people.
But do the meal kit services keep what they promise? Does what they produce taste good? And how easy is the preparation? Let’s try to figure it out. First of all, take a look at Hello Fresh. After this, we will proceed to companies similar to Hello Fresh reviewing.
HelloFresh was founded in Berlin in 2011, and the company now sends meal kits to 14 countries. In the third quarter of 2020, five million users ordered food from HelloFresh.
The price varies a little depending on the meal kits selected. In the Classic Box with three dishes per week for two people, one portion costs 5.71 euros. In addition, starters or additional dishes can be ordered for a surcharge.
The ordering process is also simple. First, you choose between culinary preferences (meat, vegetarian, or family-friendly), then choose the number of people and dishes per week. HelloFresh delivers food for up to four people. Every week you are asked by email to select the dishes for the next delivery. Be attentive when pausing the delivery: If you do not want to receive any more boxes, you have to confirm this request several times and select a reason for it. Unlike when ordering, one click is not enough to cancel the box! Delicious meals offered by this company include a pasta bowl with buffalo mozzarella, chili sin carne with avocado, minced meat burger with mushrooms.
Are there any specials for the holidays? Yes, there are two Christmas menus with four courses to choose from, one with duck and one vegetarian. However, the Christmas boxes are usually sold out immediately.
If you need to find good Hellofresh alternatives, you should know that SunBasket offers many things like Hello Fresh. Similar to other companies like Hello Fresh, this Hello Fresh alternative offers almost everything you could want, starting with the highest quality, freshest ingredients. SunBasket works to provide healthy, fresh meal kits that support dietary and health goals.
Whenever possible, only organic ingredients are used by this company. Moreover, this company like Hello Fresh offers diverse options for those who stick to specific diets. Among other Hellofresh competitors, this is certainly one of the leaders. Dietary options available include:
- diabetes-friendly, etc.
If one of their tailored plans doesn’t meet your needs, you’re free to choose from their entire menu of meal kits.
Like Hello Fresh and others, this company has about 20 meal kit recipes to choose from each week. Understandably, there will be fewer of them if you utilize some dietary filters. Like HelloFresh, SunBasket meal kits include a good range of familiar comfort foods, like a lemon chicken with a selection of fresh vegetables. The ingredients are all pre-measured, and the easy-to-follow recipe cards will suit a range of cooking skills.
Marley Spoon is a Hellofresh alternative that was launched in 2014 by the Lieferheld founders and is now active in seven countries. In 2020 the company increased its sales tremendously, the concept is identical to that of HelloFresh.
You can choose between dishes for two or three to four people and between three to five meals per week. Three meals for two people cost 7.15 euros per serving. Such a box costs a total of 42.90 euros and you should plan around a week in advance.
The ordering process is pretty easy (via app or in the browser) and fun: Preferences are asked – you can exclude pork or fish depending on your taste – and then recipes are displayed that contain what you like. However, you can also view the other recipes and still select them. An email is sent beforehand informing you what you should have at home for your three recipes (like salt, ketchup, or oil).
Dinnerly belongs to Marley Spoon, but it offers the cheaper concept. This is one of the most affordable Hello Fresh alternatives that offers eight recipes every week that only require six ingredients and are prepared in five steps.
As for the price, they advertise “2.99 euros per portion” – but you only get that with larger packages with more portions. If two people want to eat three dishes a week, one pays 4.39 euros per dish, plus five euros shipping costs. If four people want four dishes a week, it is just under 58 euros per box and week.
The ordering process is exactly the same as with Marley Spoon, just the selection is smaller. Although the recipes consist of comparatively fewer ingredients, the result is special dishes, little extras such as onion jam, for example, make the puff pastry pockets spicy. The size of the portions is always neat, no skimpy on that.
Among numerous Hello Fresh competitors, Home Chef is definitely the one worth your attention. Like Hello Fresh, it is an affordable meal delivery service offering delicious recipes, neatly packaged ingredients, and easy-to-follow cooking instructions. However, allergy-friendly options are somewhat limited.
There are three different plans similar to Hello Fresh to choose from that are each slightly different: Home Chef is the standard plan, where you can choose the recipes you want from a selection of cuisines and cook-times.
Then there’s the Fresh and Easy plan, which became extremely popular. Nowadays, there is its own sub-brand. With the help of this meal plan, you will get products that need the smallest time for preparation. This HelloFresh-like plan is ideal for those who are extremely busy or for people who want to spend as little time in the kitchen as possible. All in all, this is one of the sites like Hello Fresh you have to try.
How Do Meal Kit Services Work?
Meal kits and meal services like Hello Fresh, in general, are popular with many people for a number of reasons, not just because they save time. With a meal kit, you can forget about daily planning and shopping for meals and eat delicious diverse meals without much effort. With meal kits provided by Hellofresh type companies, all the groceries you need for cooking, including the associated recipes, are delivered to your home several times a week, which is pretty convenient.
Depending on the provider, there are different delicious meal kit variants to choose from, so that, for example, vegetarians or people with food intolerances do not have to go without delicious meals. You can therefore focus completely on preparing the food with a short preparation time.
The principle of the meal kit can be simply explained. First, you decide on the type of meal kit and then choose the number of people you want to cook for and the number of dishes you want to prepare per week. Providers usually put together recipes on a weekly basis. Depending on the provider, you may even view it several weeks in advance. In many cases, you can customize your diet so you don’t have to eat anything that you don’t like. Once all settings have been made, complete the order and select the payment method that will be used for future payments.
This Is How Kits Can Differ
Every meal kit supplier ensures that customers have choices when it comes to meal kits. As a rule, you can either order a vegetarian cook box or one in which meat and fish are part of the recipe ingredients. In addition, meals like Hello Fresh differ in terms of their target groups. For example, they are available for singles, and there are also boxes for couples and families.
Many meal kit suppliers cater to the special needs of their customers by offering different recipes. There are recipes for people with allergies and intolerances. It is often possible to prepare low-carb dishes or implement a diet that is suitable for diabetics. Not all providers guarantee such diversity, so you should be extremely attentive when making the order and at the very initial stage when choosing between programs like Hello Fresh.
The Information on the Recipes: Find Out What Is Most Important at a Glance
As you already know, in addition to the ingredients, the meal kits also come with recipe cards that will guide you through cooking. We want to show you what information is included in most of the recipes and how to stick to them.
- Quantity information: on every recipe card of Hello Fresh alternatives, you can see at a glance how many people the specified quantities are sufficient for. If you cook for yourself and your partner, you will need correspondingly smaller quantities than at a cooking evening with friends. Too much or too little would be equally annoying, so it’s best to look carefully beforehand.
- Cooking time: this factor is important if you don’t have a lot of time and you want to cook quickly. For each recipe, the Hello Fresh competitors write the approximate time it takes to prepare it. This includes not only the actual cooking time but also the time for the preparations. The specified cooking time is an important guide when compiling a recipe.
- Difficulty level: not everyone is a master chef and not everyone wants to become one. If you don’t want to spend too much time cooking, you will look for simple recipes, that’s understandable. It is great if the recipe states how easy or difficult it is to prepare this or that dish.
- Allergens: there are a large number of elements in food that can trigger allergies in people. If you also suffer from allergies, it is an advantage if the recipes list appropriate allergens and substances that lead to intolerance.
- Hotness: some dishes or the spices used can be very hot and not tolerable for everyone. Also, not everyone likes spicy food. Pay attention to the corresponding information in the recipe cards or take a close look at the exact composition of the dishes if you do not tolerate spicy food.
- Preparation steps: it is not only important to follow the individual steps exactly, but the exact order must also be observed. The preparation always takes several steps and you should be careful not to confuse them.
The Advantages and Disadvantages
What about the advantages of the meal kits provided by companies like HelloFresh? Which aspects are particularly positive? And what about the less beneficial aspects? At this point, we take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of the meal kits provided by HelloFresh and similar companies.
- Meal kits make daily cooking easier and save time.
- HelloFresh-like providers put together versatile and varied recipes.
- Good suppliers deliver fresh food that is beneficial for your health.
- You can choose the portion size and delivery frequency yourself.
- Food waste is avoided as the suppliers deliver the correct quantities.
- Meal kit recipes are easy and quick to cook.
- There are also recipes available for vegetarians and vegans to cook at home.
- In most cases, you can choose recipes individually, based on your needs and preferences.
- With some providers, ordering meal kits is far more expensive than buying products yourself; nevertheless, it still helps to save time.
- Deliveries can be delayed unexpectedly.
- In the event of improper packaging, the cold chain can be interrupted.
- You have to rely on the vendors’ assurances that the ingredients are high quality and fresh.
The meal delivery service industry has boomed over the past few years, especially this past year with Covid. Nowadays, one can find a meal delivery service similar to HelloFresh to suit any needs, be it dietary needs or simply taste preferences.
It is better to choose a meal delivery service similar to HelloFresh with all due responsibility. Numerous factors must be taken into account. Those are the diversity of meals, ease of cooking, your preferences, the presence of reviews from real people, the price (if it is too low, it is better not to try such a service), dietary options. All in all, this industry is continuously growing, so we may expect a growing number of services like HelloFresh.
People want to eat delicious and healthy meals without spending too much time and money, and modern meal delivery services are excellent helpers. We have presented companies that are worth trying, so select the one you like the most and bring your comfort of living to a completely new level. Good luck!