How to Cook Beer Can Chicken On a Pellet Grill
This exciting way of preparing pellet grill beer can chicken makes it possible to cook vertically. It will be evenly baked on all sides, and its skin will be beautifully browned. The poultry is placed on an aluminum beer can and grilled in an indirect heat zone. It is just a way to keep the chicken upright, and the beer in the can is likely to steam the poultry meat and give it its taste.
The chicken on a pellet grill becomes delicious after pre-marinated in beer brine with salt, brown sugar, orange juice, and cardamom. Thanks to it, poultry meat turns out to be very juicy and acquires a pleasant malt flavor and aroma.
Preheating a Pit Boss
Use paper or special ignition cubes to ignite the coal to get a tasty dish. In the absence of a starter, you can traditionally ignite the coal. To do this, fold the briquettes into a pyramid in the center of the charcoal bowl, supplement it with 2-3 ignition cubes and ignite them with a long match or lighter. After you see a white coating on the surface of the coal, distribute it.
Controlling the intensity of heating in a pit boss is quite simple. There are the upper and lower dampers, which act as temperature switches. Since the heat inside depends on the oxygen level under the lid, you change the temperature by controlling its circulation.
Which Beer to Choose
Regardless of which beer you choose for the marinade, it will soften the fibers and make the poultry juicy. But even mineral water will cope with this. If you want to get more flavor from beer, you need to understand several points.
- For chicken on a pellet grill, it is better to choose light beer — wheat varieties, lagers, light ales. They will perfectly cope with the primary task and bring light and unobtrusive grain shades to the dish.
- For a more pronounced beer tone, amber ales can be used.
- When it comes to sauces for pellet grill poultry, you should trust your taste because beer plays the role of seasoning here. It is worth trying it first, determining the flavors and imagining what products you can combine with it.
What Spices To Use
As for spices for pellet grill poultry, you can use black ground pepper, allspice, marjoram, cloves, basil, a mixture of herbs for poultry, bay leaf, etc.
What Shavings to Use
If you have shavings for the smell of smoked pit boss whole chicken, then before applying them to the chicken, they should first be soaked in the beer mixture for an hour.
How to Check a Chicken
The readiness of the beer can chicken pit boss is best checked with a wooden stick. Pierce the meatiest part of the chicken with it, and if clear juice flows out (not bloody liquid), then the poultry is ready, and you can take it out of the pit boss.
- Prepare the brine. Mix the beer, orange juice, sugar, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Place the chicken in a 4-liter plastic bag with a ziplock and add brine. Seal the bag and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat the grill. Put 1.3-1.8 kg grill coal into the pit boss in briquettes, set fire, and let the coals burn out.
- Prepare the chicken:
- Remove the poultry from the brine and pat dry;
- Rub the entire surface of the chicken with olive oil;
- Mix spices and rub them all over the chicken, under the skin, and inside it.
- Use a knife to make 3-4 holes in the top half of the beer can. Put the remaining garlic cloves and cardamom into the can.
- Place the poultry on the beer can, inserting it into the carcass cavity. 2.5 cm of the can should be visible from below. Set the pit boss beer can chicken on the pellet grill racks like a tripod. Cover the grill and cook until the chicken is browned and a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 74°C. Using charcoal will take about 1 hour and 20 minutes and 200°C. Put a handful of briquettes into each pile of coals every 30 minutes to keep the heat going.
- Remove the poultry from the pellet grill, discard the jar, and place it on a cutting board. Let it rest 10 minutes before cutting.
How to Remove a Chicken from a Beer Can
Be careful because you can get badly burned if all this falls! Remove the prepared chicken from the pellet grill and place it on a flat surface. Leave it like this until the heat goes away and the carcass cools slightly. Then, carefully separate the chicken skin from the top and bottom of the beer can with a sharp knife. Pry the chicken from the front with a fork, hold the back with a spatula, remove the carcass, and immediately transfer it to a dish set in advance next to it. If the dish is not placed next to it, there is a chance of dropping a heavy chicken.
What Side Dish to Choose
Anything can become side dishes for beer can chicken on a pellet smoker. The fact is that poultry meat is combined with all vegetables and cereals. Side dishes for chicken can be boiled, fried, stewed, and baked. It can be simple (consisting of one main product) and complex (consisting of several products, if they are present in equal proportions in the side dish).
When preparing a side dish for chicken on a pellet grill, you can experiment and combine products. Also, don’t forget about sauces for garnish. The fact is that such sauces give the side dish a complete taste and also significantly emphasize the taste of the poultry itself.
Serve the Beer Can Chicken
Put the finished side dish around the carcass, add many fresh herbs, and serve immediately. Such a tasty beer can chicken on a pellet grill will not leave you indifferent! And the hotter, the more delicious.
How Long Does It Take to Smoke a Beer Can Chicken on a Pit Boss?
Depending on the size of the chicken, this will take about 1.5 hours. Readiness can be checked with a culinary thermometer or simply by making a puncture with a knife: if a clear liquid flows out, then the poultry is ready. If the juice is reddish, then continue baking. If a crust is already forming on top, and it starts to burn, then cover the top of the poultry with a sheet of foil.
What Temperature Do You Cook Chicken on Pit Boss?
Preparing a beer can chicken on a pellet grill requires a temperature of about 200 °C. But this time depends on your pit boss. Just be guided by the color of the crust.
How Long Does It Take to Smoke a Whole Chicken at 225 Degrees?
You might think that high heat is the key to cooking poultry quickly, but this will result in a burnt crust on the outside and poor-quality meat on the inside. Whole chicken should be cooked over moderate heat, but cooking time varies. Whole poultry should be grilled for 40-50 minutes at a temperature of 225 degrees.